Board-Certified Cancer Specialist
“Cancer is an enormous health problem, and it affects many, many people’s lives each year. My own experience with a loved one who had cancer forever made me aware that this disease is as personal as it is significant. And it helped motivate me to become a physician and cancer specialist. In particular, I wanted to help people heal… both physically and emotionally.
“As an experienced oncologist, this is still my motivation. And I find it both an important responsibility and a real privilege to play a role in caring for people who battle this disease. This is why I commit myself completely, and I’m proud to do it. While the challenge is tremendous and the involvement in the lives of patients and their families is often intense, I find it very rewarding. Each new person with cancer I meet represents an opportunity for me to make a real difference and to help turn a cancer patient into a cancer survivor. For that reason and many others, I strive to provide the most attentive, effective and advanced care possible. And I do it with heartfelt empathy, guidance and support.”
- Board-Certified: Radiation Oncology, 2006
- Residency: Radiation Oncology, Duke University, Durham, NC
- Chief Resident
- Internship: Internal Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY
- MD: University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, NV
- Harvard/MGH – Clinical research fellow
- Mayo Clinic – Clinical research fellow
- BS: Cum laude, Cell & Molecular Biology, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV
- Member: American College of Radiology, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology & Oncology, American Brachytherapy Society, American Medical Association
- Author: Articles published in International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, 2004, Surgery 2000, Transplantation Proceedings 1999.
- Awards: American Brachytherapy Society – Seattle Prostate Brachytherapy Fellow Award, 2005. Outstanding Student in Rural Health, 2000; American Federation for Medical Research – Gastroenterology Research Award, 1998; American College of Physicians – National Student Abstract Award, 1998; Western Student Medical Research Forum – Excellence in Research, 1998
Austin Cancer Centers and Georgetown Cancer Center offer our specialized services to the communities in Central Texas, including Austin, TX (North Austin, Central Austin and Northwest Austin) and Lakeway, TX in Travis County; Round Rock, TX and Georgetown, TX in Williamson County; and Rockdale, TX in Milam County. Our medical oncology specialists and radiation oncologists provide cancer diagnosis for a variety of conditions, including:
• Hodgkin's disease • Kidney cancer • Lymphoma disease • Rectal cancer • Liver tumors
• Pancreatic tumors • Bone tumors • Small cell lung cancer • Neck cancer • Many more
They offer myriad treatments that include:
• Radiation oncology • Cancer chemotherapy • Hematology-oncology • CyberKnife® radiotherapy
• Breast cancer treatment • Biopsy breast • Treatment for prostate cancer • Hormonal therapy
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Douglas J. Rivera, call Austin Cancer Centers or Georgetown Cancer Center at 512.505.5500 today, or use our online Request an Appointment form.